Empire Generating Co, LLC is the owner of a 635 net megawatt (MW) (including 107 MW of duct firing capacity) combined cycle, natural gas fired power plant in Rensselaer, New York.
The Project results in a variety of economic benefits for the region, including the creation of jobs, millions of dollars in local and state tax revenue, and clean, reliable electricity for New York State. These benefits are estimated to total approximately $290 million over a 20 year period.
Empire Generating Co, LLC also provides significant environmental benefits to the community and the state. It is one of the first projects to be accepted into New York State’s voluntary Brownfield Cleanup Program (BCP), signed into law by then-Governor George Pataki in October 2003. The program encourages developers to invest their resources in the environmental remediation and redeployment of existing non-productive sites, thereby assuring that these properties will make an economic contribution to the communities in which they are located.
Community Liaison Program
Empire Generating Co, LLC has implemented a Community Liaison Program (CLP) to help streamline communication with surrounding communities and stakeholders regarding construction and operation of the project. The program is administered by Sean Spain, Plant Manager, who is serving as the Project’s Community Liaison Officer. Empire Generating Co, LLC has also formed a Citizens Committee comprised of local officials and representatives that meet regularly for Project status updates.
Future updates on the Empire Generating Project, including CLP newsletters, updated Project timelines, and significant Project events will be posted on this site.
- Payment of property taxes (PILOT).
- Employment of up to 525 union construction workers for over a two year construction period.
- Employment of approximately 22 full time positions.
- The beneficial clean-up and productive redeployment of the BASF site.
- Participation of the Rensselaer County Industrial Development Agency.
- A Host Community Benefit Agreement with the City of Rensselaer.
- A Benefit Agreement with the Rensselaer City School District.
- Enter your starting point below for directions to the Empire site.